A listener asked for an episode specifically dedicated to the practice of the listening boundary. As I started working through what I wanted to talk about, I realized there’s too much to fit into one episode, so this will be a series. This is the first part; the second part will air in two weeks.
Biggest Takeaways From Episode #37:
- The listening boundary is how we take in, filter, and ultimately respond to incoming information, whether verbal or written. This is the most difficult, challenging, and complex of the boundaries, but it’s incredibly important.
- When you’re filtering information as part of the listening boundary, you have three options. First, you can take the information in as true for you. Second, you can decide that it is not true for you, or that you don’t have the same perception. Finally, you may need more information or realize that there is no way to determine whether or not it is true.
- As you work on improving this boundary, constantly remember that you are going to practice the boundary imperfectly. Also keep in mind that the highest purpose of listening to another person is to know and understand who the other person is.
- Here’s a simple assignment to practice: notice how many times you listen to someone and have the temptation to begin your response with the part of what they said that you didn’t agree with, or like. Instead, pay attention to the things that you agree with.
Highlights from Episode #37:
- Vicki introduces the topic of today’s episode: the listening boundary. [00:48]
- What is the listening boundary? [02:34]
We hear about an instance in which Vicki had to practice the listening boundary recently. [04:38]
- Vicki talks about exactly how the listening boundary works, and explains the three options for filtering information. [07:31]
- How can you prepare for having a better listening boundary, and what are some of the things that you need to know as you’re working on improving this boundary? [12:29]
- Vicki shares another point you should remember as you prepare to use the listening boundary. [19:22]
- We hear about what can happen when a person’s listening boundary is not working. [22:10]
- Vicki covers some of the common pitfalls around the listening boundary. [24:39]
- Vicki gives listeners a simple assignment to practice before part 2 of this series on the listening boundary. [29:38]
Links and Resources:
Hi, I'm Victoria!
I love guiding my clients on a journey of Returning to the authentic truth of who they are, Reclaiming what is theirs, and Receiving everything that is meant for them.
Imagine you, filled up
Get Free Self-Care Ideas
30 practical & delicious ideas to start building your self-care practice today.
It is so important that you feel good. It’s good for you, your loved ones, and the world.
©2022-2023 Victoria Priya | All Rights Reserved